Episode 4: Minal Mehta
"Success is unleashing the inner rockstar in you."
Minal Mehta, Co-Founder and President, BollyX, on building a vibrant community and sharing the joy of fitness
When I came across this Disney quote, I immediately thought of Minal Mehta. Minal Mehta is the Co-Founder and President of BollyX and her mission is to empower people who have a passion for dance and fitness, to build a vibrant community around healthy living and to share the joy of fitness with others.
Minal is a fitness maven. From being the only Indian girl in her synchronized swimming team to being cast as a lead in her first Bollywood dance team competition, her enthusiasm for fitness started from the age of three. Minal realized very early on that she was a part of something bigger than herself. Through participating in team sports, she learned the importance of being a part of a community and how to motivate each other to bring out the best in your selves.
Throughout the interview, I could envision every cell of Minal dancing to Bollywood and drawing others in to the cyclone of energy. I know I was anxious to join her Bollywood jam session!
Find out from the podcast how Minal:
- Spent Sundays with her family which included going to the gym together
- ot selected as a lead dancer at the tender age of ten and how it opened new doors that allowed her to “fly toward the stars”
- Was surrounded by a diverse community which gave her the courage to combine her passion for dance and to start her own company
- Broke the stereotype of the “analytical Indian girl”
- Made a conscious decision to fail as a condition of happiness
- Made tough decisions as an entrepreneur and the lessons she learned along the way
- Makes every interaction with BollyX a delightful experience
- Used nimbleness to grow her business across 20 states with 500 trained instructors
- Negotiates for herself and advocates for self-worth
This was a fantastic interview! Minal exudes so much love for what she does and wants to share that same love with the broader community. I couldn’t stop thinking of a video that I came across on YouTube, where the Accenture Mumbai office has a daily five minute dance routine before starting work. Now wouldn’t you want Minal and her BollyX team to help you start your day with that?
Minal Mehta is the Co-Founder and President of BollyX. With an M.B.A. in general management from Harvard Business School, Minal has leveraged her expertise in marketing and strategy to drive BollyX’s brand and build a vibrant community around healthy living. As a master trainer and choreographer for BollyX, she leads instructor certifications across the U.S. and teaches regularly in New York City. Minal has a fitness background in competitive synchronized swimming and water polo, and an artistic background in various styles of dance including Bollywood, Kathak, Jazz, and Hip Hop.