Episode 2: Spojmie Nasiri
"Every refugee has extraordinary circumstances... the theme is always the same."
Spojmie Nasiri, Principal Attorney, on being a former refugee and helping others find a new life
Imagine being five years old, leaving behind your toys, your home, and the most important figure in your life, your mother, to begin a journey across three countries to start a better life.
We see countless images of refugees making this journey in the media. Today, I want to share the narrative of a former Afghan refugee who had a similar plight and along the way, ended up finding her why and is using it to make a difference in people’s lives.
I am honored to share Spojmie Nasiri’s story. Spojmie is a principal immigration attorney and has her own practice, the Law Office of Spojmie Nasiri. Spojmie took her own personal struggle as a refugee from Afghanistan and made it her calling. She has an incredible story and I feel so privileged to share it with you.
Find out from the podcast how Spojmie:
- Crossed three countries to get to California.
- Was supposed to have been left behind in Afghanistan and why she had to be a “boy” when she got here.
- Overcame the adversity of raising themselves and the Angel that watched over them.
- Balanced law school while raising three young children at the same time.
- Worked for free for three years and found her purpose.
- Let conviction crush doubt of failure.
- Dealt with what’s considered a mistake in the world’s eye, but to her was the best opportunity.
- Defines confidence and why she values humility, sincerity and gratitude.
- Gives advice to young women who are looking to enter this field.
Spojmie Nasiri, principal attorney, is a first generation immigrant herself who understands through personal experience how difficult and emotionally draining American immigration process can be. Mrs. Nasiri’s education, community involvement and associations reflect her outstanding dedication in the area of immigration law. She received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from the University of California, Davis and her Juris Doctorate from Golden Gate University, School of Law. Mrs. Nasiri is a member of the California State Bar and is admitted to practice before the California Supreme Court and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Mrs. Nasiri currently practices immigration law exclusively and is an active member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association. Mrs. Nasiri is currently serving as the president of the CAIR San Francisco Chapter Executive Committee Board member.